Wikipedia will tell you that the Gaelic name for the modern village is Cill Chuimein, and the accepted etymology is that the settlement was originally named after Saint Cummein of Iona who built a church there. Other suggestions are that it was originally called Ku Chuimein after one of two abbots of Iona of the Comyn clan, whose badge Lus mhic Chuimein refers to the Cumin plant, or that it was called Cill a' Chuimein ("Comyn's Burialplace") after the last Comyn in Lochaber.
Fort Augutus Neptune Staircase
Apparently, a visit to the pretty village of Invermoriston and lovely Glenmoriston is always worth the short journey of around 7 miles. Steeped in Jacobite history, Invermoriston, with its white harled cottages, is a popular resting place for walkers tackling the Great Glen Way.
Moriston is Gaelic for ‘river of the waterfalls’ and the dramatic Moriston Falls are spectacular in spate – especially from the Old Bridge built by Thomas Telford in 1813 during the construction of the Caledonian Canal. Look out too for St Columba’s Well and the spectacular gorge at the entrance to the Glenmoriston Road to the Isles.
Enough about historical facts. Now, to the more important stuff: